Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Hostas. Why I love them and why you should too.

Photographer Janet Loughrey

via


My mom has been growing hostas since I was little. She got a few plants from a neighbor and then she just kept dividing them, over, and over. She has given me about 20 and I bought a bunch of other varieties from Lowes on discount last fall. When I was younger I never really understood the fascination, but now with all the varieties out there who wouldn't want some in their yard!

These plants make great borders in semi shady areas and grow in zones 3-9. Hostas like rich and moist organic soils, and they like morning sun and afternoon shade. Hostas are heavy feeders and fertilizer should be applied in early spring and again in mid-summer.

Negatives: Watch out for deer. I have lots of deer wandering around my home and I have yet to have an incident, but I've alway read deer love eating hostas.


No comments:

Post a Comment